Latest Journal Entry:
Still developing two projects at once, trying desperately to figure out which one I should concentrate on. My “plan B” project, the feature based on my latest short film, is looking more and more like the one we’ll be going with. I just got the 2nd draft of the script, and it’s coming along really well. Because we would only shoot the movie for $1 million or less, this is probably a better business decision. If we do proceed with Midnight Clear, we’ll probably start pre-production in February and production in late March.
One thing I’ve learned more than almost anything in this business—getting something done, even if it’s not your #1 choice, is more important than spending your time developing something else. Getting movies made in this business is practically a miracle, and any time you can do it you should jump at the chance. I won’t pretend that Mountain (my preacher film) isn’t my passion project, but it’s a very difficult one, and it might be too tough to pull off right now. I’ve still got to raise a good chunk of money, and of course, a star actor needs to be interested in taking the leap of faith with me.
That being said, we have made our first official offer to a name actor for Mountain. We sent the script, my previous films, a passionate letter, and the offer in writing. We’ll see what happens. Either the actor is passionate about the role or he isn’t.
By the next time I write something here, I’ll likely have made my OFFICIAL ABSOLUTE NO TURNING BACK NO HOLDS BARRED decision, and I’ll be making a movie. Maybe.