On Monday, Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari released the names of 82 Chibok girls freed by Boko Haram. The names were published in the newspaper on Monday, and desperate parents snagged copies to see if their daughters were among those released.
The girls were kidnapped back in 2014 by Boko Haram terrorists, launching the worldwide cry to #bringbackourgirls. Last October, 21 of the girls were released, but Monday marks Boko Haram’s biggest release so far, reportedly as part of a deal made involving the release of several Boko Haram commanders.
The girls who have been released (or escaped on their own) told horrific stories. They said some of their friends had died of disease, while others had been radicalized to the point where they didn’t even want to leave their captors. Human rights groups fear some of the girls may have been used for suicide bombings.
113 of the Chibok girls are still missing.