Over the course of three days, Pope Francis spoke with a number of jesuit journalists, the transcripts of which have been released today, and goodness’ sakes, this Pope just won’t stop. In what’s likely to cement his reputation as a revolutionary firebrand, Francis unleashed a number of revelations that will have the Catholic Church talking. Here are some of the biggest.
1. “We cannot insist only on issues related to abortion, gay marriage and the use of contraceptive methods …The teaching of the church, for that matter, is clear and I am a son of the church, but it is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time.”
2. “We have to work harder to develop a profound theology of the woman. Only by making this step will it be possible to better reflect on their function within the church. The feminine genius is needed wherever we make important decisions.”
3. “A person once asked me, in a provocative manner, if I approved of homosexuality. I replied with another question: ‘Tell me: when God looks at a gay person, does he endorse the existence of this person, or reject and condemn this person? We must always consider the person.”
4. “I am a sinner. This is the most accurate definition. It is not a figure of speech, a literary genre. I am a sinner.”
5. “The church sometimes has locked itself up in small things, in small-minded rules. The most important thing is the first proclamation: Jesus Christ has saved you. And the ministers of the church must be ministers of mercy above all.”
Read the full transcripts here …