I’m sitting here in Biggby Coffee in Chicago– and am watching the stock market plunge almost 700 points.
I know what 700 point down means in the market– in means trouble. It means the market may be closed for the day. It means people are losing millions as we speak. It means life savings are diminishing by the minute. It could mean financial disaster for so many.
It may mean a new depression. Seriously– it may mean exactly that.
I’m not even sweating.
I have invested my time and energy in other places, I have investments that society, and many Christians have no idea about.
I have 0 assets, no portfolio, no 401K, not even a real income.
I’m not a financial fool– I understand money, and the fleeting nature of it. 5 years ago I took every penny I had and invested it into The Shema Movement. I quickly ran out of funds, but my business partner came along continued to invest in what God was doing. We took the plunge together–and watched God step in and do some amazing things.
We have struggled to stay afloat– but God keeps putting it together– and he does it in such interesting ways. Heres a snapshot of my life—living in God’s Economy.
I still make no income from Shema–but here how I live:
- My local community [just 40 people at most] distributes $1000 worth of Trader Joe’s groceries each week in our neighborhood. I eat like a king for free by taking just a bit from that
- I have been getting out and doing public speaking— I fly for almost free any where in the world–its a great story and maybe some day I’ll tell it to you
- My friend owns a Bartering Company– The Art of Barter– he gives me “Bartering Bucks” to get free coffee when I come to blog. He also lets me get some shoes once a year.
- I have helped people move over the years and generally they offer our community stuff they dont need–furniture and stuff–it usually amazing stuff.
- We receive free Dominicks [another grocery store] damaged and older goods– plates, candy, stuffed animals- canned goods–anything they sell–we see. We pass this on to the neighborhood just like our Trader Joe’s— and my local community uses it to feed the students and families that do life with us.
This is a peek inside the economy of God. It doesn’t involve stocks and bonds. God’s economy involves taking the plunge to give it all to Him and watching Him come alongside and create a whole new way of life. It works because God knows our heart to not simply consume the resources He sends us– but uses us as simply a vehicle to help others and allows us to share in those resources.
Fishes and loves baby….still alive and working today.
I could never have done any of these things with my meager investment of finances–and my super smart plan— I have realized that when we jump–God is there to catch us and move us father than we could have ever imagined.
The Kingdom of God–and it’s economy is here for all–if we are willing to let go of what we perceive as security. In fact I may lose all the things mentioned above–but I know that God will make a way for Shema— I have no idea how– but know doubt that it will continue to happen.
I am a witness.
I have seen it happen countless times already. If I keep working hard for Jesus–He keeps blazing new trails for me to travel down.
So while Wall Street burns–and Main St—begins to catch fire—
I can peacefully drink my coffee– and honestly say…
my investments are safe.