Speaking at a press conference today at Westcott Elementary School, Chance the Rapper announced that he would donate $1 million to Chicago Public Schools as a “call to action.”
Last week, following a meeting with Illinois Governor Bruce Rauner that didn’t go well, Chance the Rapper said that he would use the weekend to come up with a plan.
“Gov. Rauner can use his executive power to help get Chicago’s children the resources they need to fulfill their God-given right to learn,” Chance said. “Gov. Rauner still won’t commit to give Chicago’s kids a chance without caveats or ultimatums.”
He also announced that 10 specific schools would each be getting $10,000.
Chance is donating 10k to 10 different schools in Chicago?? pic.twitter.com/QNT4PQLM6o
— Complex Music (@ComplexMusic) March 6, 2017
“This isn’t about politics, this isn’t about posturing. This is about taking care of the kids. Everybody and their momma knows about what’s going on in Chicago, it’s constantly talked about. But we’re about to enhance the conversation,” he said at one point.
He called on other people in the community to match his donations.
In their meeting Friday, the governor told Chance that the only two plans he had would have required legislative moves in a gridlocked government. Opponents criticized his plans as offering no real support and not funding Chicago schools as much as other cities and districts.
Westcott was one of the 10 schools to receive $10,ooo, but is still in a deficit of almost $100,000.
Sources say that Chance will be using ticket sales from his upcoming spring tour and other promotion companies and venues.